Friday, November 25, 2011

Karam UppuSai (A different definition to cooking)

My friends/colleagues used to make fun of me coining different terms / definitions, when I say it when I am angry / irritated / feeling very jolly / having fun...

Few such things are Sani Mundam, Eruma Naayagam, Karuma Kammanaati and so forth...

I am new to cooking, as I have never touched utensils in my house for cooking...

But you see, necessity is the mother of invention... Idle mind is devil's workshop...

I was damn hungry, didn't have anything to eat, what I had was vegetables and few flours (maavu)... But what to do with that... My mom is a great cook... She does anything to eat with whatever food stuff is available.

I saw my mom preparing karacha maavu dosai which can be instantly prepared...
Oh, what an !dea? I thought of trying the same... And the final product is Karam UppuSai....

Don't laugh... Its really good to eat... And very quick to prepare too...

Ok... Let me tell you all, how I prepared... Btw, why this peculiar name? As I said before, I was too much irritated as I was hungry and the end product what I got made me feel even irritated... So I wanted to give a name which I should never forget in life... One such previous invention is Soriyaani rice (thats too funny) as the rice came was like that only...

What does Karam UppuSai means?

Karam, (in tamil) means hand/arm...??? Why this here??? Read further...
And UppuSai is from two words Uppuma/Dosai... Hope most of you had/heard about them...

The ingredients of this dish are (for 1 person):
1. Arisi maavu (A) - (Rice flour) - 1 hand full / equiv
2. Ravaa (R) - (Sooji) - 1 hand full / equiv
3. Maida maavu (M) - All purpose flour / Refined white wheat flour - 2 hand full / equiv
4. Pachai Milagai - (Green Chilly) - one
5. Vengayam - (Onion) - Big half
6. Kadugu - (Mustard)
7. Jeeragam - (Cumin seeds)
8. Oil & Salt
9. Thayiru - (Curd / Yogurt) - optional

How to prepare
1. Put ARM in the ratio 1:1:2 in a bowl and add water and mix it well in such a way that the batter (maavu in liquid state) is consistent and slightly flowy but not watery.
2. Add salt to the batter and mix it again
3. If you have curd then add 1 karandi (big spoon) of it to the batter
4. Then put oil in the pan/illupa karandi and put mustard and jeera in it and heat it until mustard starts popping up (don't make it completely black / burnt)
5. Add this mustard, chopped onions and chilly to the batter. Stir well and keep it aside for 15-30 minutes
6. After 15-30 minutes, add more water so that the batter is more flowy like milk or even slightly less. Dont add more water. Based on our experience, next time we can add more or less water
7. Now the batter is ready...
8. Put some oil in the pan and pour this batter in the pan

Here comes the main scene... Hope you might have seen how a dosa is made... The same way you do this also.. The outcome of this depends on how lucky you are :)
I also tried to make dosa only (I have done it at home a couple of times and trust me it came out well too)
If the batter is too thick, then we cant make it proper and same in the case if it is too watery
If the outcome is like a dosa, then you are done.

Here I introduce the final twist.... I was not able to make it like a Dosa as it tore into pieces and I was not able to rotate it either.. So I pressed it to make sure there is no watery batter in the pan and I almost made it like how we will fry eggs (egg burjie / egg podimaas or so) and it tasted & looked like Uppumaa too...

Since the outcome came to be like that and my intention was to prepare dosai, I named it UppuSai.
But the main ingrediants are (A)risi maavu, (R)avaa & (M)aida maavu, so I thought of naming it ARM Uppusai, but since I am a tamizhan and Dosai & Uppuma are part of South India (TamilNadu), I changed ARM to Karam (sounded similar and meant the same too) to give a different name.

I hope, some might have enjoyed reading this and few might have got irritated too ;)

What to do, I am staying alone in USA and need to do something for Lunch/Dinner and this is one of my experimentations....

Note: The original name of this is "Karacha maavu dosa" - previously mentioned though...

Most of you might be thinking now, Ada paavi idha dhaan ithna neramaa ivalo kevalamaa sonniyaanu....
The answer is YES...

2 comments:

  1. Would like to taste once when I drop by your place....whatever you made above - the exact same thing.

    ReplyDelete